Museum Experience Representative
Job Title: Museum Experience Representative (MER)
Department: Museum Experience and Education
Reports to: Manager of Museum Experience
Status: Part-Time, Non-Exempt. Schedule varies, 6-24 hours/week
Museum Experience Representatives promote a positive visitor experience while enforcing Museum procedures, ensuring that the visitors’ first and last impression of their experience at the Museum is a positive one. A Museum Experience Rep provides excellent customer service while ensuring the safety of visitors, staff and art works. A Rep has good working knowledge of the SJMA facilities, exhibitions, activities, and assists with ticket sales, visitor greeting and orientation, daily set up for public spaces and special events; maintains supplies of visitor materials; and responds to emergencies. Museum Experience Reps will be cross-trained in customer service and sales, safety and gallery procedures, and museum exhibitions.
Visitor Access & Hospitality
- Greet visitors, process ticket sales and facilitate visitor access.
- Promote positive visitor experiences at SJMA events and programs.
- Act as a service advocate to resolve visitor complaints/concerns to their satisfaction and the Museum’s.
- Ensure all visitors receive an initial orientation to the Museum. Conduct orientations using narrative, inquiry, discussion, discovery and other interactive techniques.
- Communicate with a variety of visitors with diverse interests and abilities in a manner that enhances their general understanding of art and the Museum.
- Provide visitors with information, maintaining a courteous and helpful attitude at all times, having developed good working knowledge of the SJMA facilities, exhibitions, and activities.
- Attend and participate regularly in exhibition trainings and walkthroughs.
- Assist with visitor evaluation, visitor tracking, and attendance studies.
- Oversee and promote on-site membership and processing for membership sales team; promote Museum Store sales and onsite donations.
- Keep galleries stocked with exhibition information and maintain interpretive stations; prepare lobby signs for special events; assist with coat check.
- Assist with daily set-ups in public spaces and special event set-ups, including minimal A/V needs.
- Coordinate advanced ticketing sales for programs and special events.
Security & Safety
- Monitor activities within assigned post to prevent theft, vandalism, damage to works of art, or injury to visitors or staff.
- Prevent unauthorized persons from touching, handling, moving, marking, defacing or tampering with any exhibit or damaging, in any way, the building, its contents or grounds.
- Know and enforce Museum policies and immediately report critical incidents of violation or unusual activity or occurrences to appropriate personnel; submit minor occurrences on a daily incident report form.
- Maintain gallery security at all times.
- Monitor activity in assigned areas and immediately intervene and report discrepancies observed in regards to visitors, art objects, exhibitions, facilities, etc.
- Communicate Museum policies and procedures in a positive manner.
- Monitor all entry points of the Museum to prevent unauthorized access.
- Respond to medical emergencies and provide direction for guests and staff in case of fire or other emergencies requiring evacuation of Museum.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to provide the highest level of customer service at all times; ability to listen actively to visitors, and be responsive to their needs and expectations; ability to remain calm and maintain a positive demeanor in stressful circumstances and handle crowds; ability to exercise good judgment in the presence of Museum visitors and problem solve on the spot; ability to maintain a consistent professional manner in dealing with the public as well as with the Museum staff; ability to work with multiple Museum departments and be flexible with last-minute changes.
Experience in customer service required. Dependability is a must. Ability to stand for long periods of time required. Bilingual skills and CPR training a plus. Required to follow SJMA policies and instructions. Background Check may be required.
Evenings, holidays, and weekend work will be required.
How do I apply?
If interested, please submit the following application materials:
- a Cover Letter (specifically state how your skills and interests relate to the MER position),
- a Résumé,
- a SJMA Employment Application.
To apply electronically
Please submit required application materials to:
Subject Line: SJMA Employment | Museum Experience Representative Position
To apply by mail
Please submit required application materials to:
Human Resources Department
San Jose Museum of Art
110 South Market Street
San Jose, CA 95113
Attn: SJMA Employment | Museum Experience Representative Position
Application deadline: 12PM on Friday, September 1, 2017. Position open until filled.
Applicants must have availability for training sessions (Mon – Fri, 9:30 AM – 5 PM, week of August 28, 2017 and/or week of September 4, 2017).
Due to the high volume of interest, regrettably, we cannot respond to individual applicants. If you are selected as a potential candidate, SJMA will contact you to schedule an interview.
No phone calls, please.