Special Project Manager, Vietnamese Community Initiative
Job Title: Special Project Manager, Vietnamese Community Initiative
Department: Museum Experience and Education
Reports to: Director of Education
Status: Part-time, interim appointment through August 2018
Non-exempt, hourly, 24 hours/week
Summary Job Description
The special project manager is responsible for the administrative, logistical, and operational aspects of the Vietnamese Community Initiative, a project that has been conceived in collaboration with an advisory committee to increase engagement of multigenerational audiences in San Jose's Vietnamese community. The project manager will develop and deliver off-site programs and related workshops, demonstrations, performances, and hands-on art making activities in nontraditional locations. She/he works closely and cross-departmentally as a team with the director of education, director of marketing, community engagement coordinator, manager of museum experience, SJMA’s staff of teaching artists, and other departments as appropriate. This position convenes and communicates with the project’s advisory committee, community focus groups, and a design team to ensure the successful implementation of the project.
- Make new contacts with a consortium of important stakeholders in the Vietnamese community; learn more about how SJMA might serve these constituencies; identify key needs, opportunities, and partnerships.
- Collaborate with key SJMA staff, the project advisory committee, community focus groups, and design team to oversee the design, fabrication, and beta-testing of a portable, multi-use studio as a platform for taking the Museum's hands-on engagement activities off-site by July 2017.
- Collaborate with SJMA’s director of education and advisory committee members to identify and contract with traditional and emerging Vietnamese artists, artisans, performers, and presenters who will work with the Museum's teaching artists to develop programs, demonstrations, and related art-making activities that will attract and serve multigenerational Vietnamese audiences by October 2017.
- Work with marketing staff to build community interest through social platforms, networking, advance marketing, and celebrity participation, from October 2017 through June 2018, with the goal of reaching as broad of an audience as possible.
- Co-create and implement three off-site pop-up activities at key events, locales, and festivals in the Vietnamese community.
- Evaluate and document the effectiveness of off-site activities; use this feedback to inform the conception and design of each subsequent program.
- Hire/contract with/manage bilingual teaching artists, volunteers, translators, and college student evaluators.
Bilingual, fluency in Vietnamese and English (written and oral) required. Must be familiar with San Jose’s multigenerational Vietnamese community and ideally with traditional forms of Vietnamese visual culture and cultural expression. Strong budget management, organizational, project planning, interpersonal, writing, and communication skills are required. Must be outgoing, energetic, and possess excellent people and team skills. Must be comfortable working independently and in groups. Must possess B.A. in fields relevant for this endeavor; e.g. Asian studies, cultural studies, project management, community activism, public programming, lifelong learning, arts education, art history, and museum studies.
- A valid California’s Driver’s License and reliable transportation in order to travel between community sites and meetings (locally and periodically across the Bay Area).
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as required.
- Knowledge of design-thinking methodology and application.
Please email résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.