Project Research Curator
< Back to Employment Opportunities
Job Title: Project Research Curator (IMLS Year 1 & 2)
Reports to: Deputy Director for Curatorial Affairs
Status: 4/5th FTE, contract, project basis (two years)
Summary Job Description
The Project Research Curator will collaborate with the San Jose Museum of Art’s curatorial team, executive director, deputy director, and registrar to conduct research in support of a two-year IMLS grant to design, research, and launch an online collection “highlights” catalog on up to 50 collection artists. This digital portfolio will spotlight SJMA’s significant holdings of Bay Area, new media, and Pacific Rim modern and contemporary artists. The Research Curator will work independently and in collaboration with the curatorial team to conduct traditional and multi-media research. Intended as an interactive, self-directed version of the traditional, expository collection publication, the catalog will focus not just on objects, but on artists and artists’ roles as creative change-makers. This approach is consistent with the San Jose Museum of Art’s mission and vision statement, which puts artistic process and artists’ broad contributions to society in the foreground.
- Collaborate with the curatorial team to determine a core set of collection artists to research in-depth for the project.
- Provide research methodology and implementation for IMLS-funded in-depth online catalog on up to 50 artists in the permanent collection.
- Create outline and timeframe to shape the scope of the project: conductresearch, schedule artist interviews and studio visits, or visits to galleries or estate representatives as needed.
- Develop editorial process for new written, photographic, and video content production.
- Research and write content on the selected collection artists. Establish communication system to keep colleagues informed on project status, and provide regular updates on milestones and metrics.
- Edit research and create post-production process for new media content.
- Create organizational system to manage information, files, distillation of research data, and new content generated by the project.
- Collaborate with IT and Registrar teams to determine and streamline original research and media for digital publication.
- Additional curatorial duties as assigned.
BA in art history or museum studies required, Master’s degree in art history, museum or curatorial studies strongly preferred, or related experience. Museum, art gallery, or equivalent art organization experience required. Strong research, organizational, and project management skills required. Personal motivation and initiative required. Proficiency in MS Office programs and Photoshop required, as well as experience with relational databases; experience with or facility to learn Embark. Proficiency in video and audio production and editing desireable.
Ability to work weekends and evenings as required.
Please email resume, cover letter and a writing sample to HRDepartment@sjmusart.org. No phone calls please.
SJMA is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums For information about San Jose Museum of Art http://sjmusart.org/about
For information about the permanent collection http://collection.sjmusart.org
For information about exhibitions http://sjmusart.org/exhibitions-on-view